
I have a thing for kitchen tables. I own three. Two of them are almost identical. The third was a mess when I bought it. It was at a garage sale for $10 or $15, so I got it. I tightened all the screws, straightened some of the metal, painted it black, and recovered the chair cushions. It took me quite a while to finish, but I think it looks really good.
I really like the table that is currently residing in our kitchen, but if I drive by a yard sale, or look in the ads, and I see a kitchen table, I pause. "Would that look good in my kitchen? Does it look better than what I have? Is it a good price?" Examples of some of the questions that pass through my mind. Don't ask me where this compulsiveness comes from. I just know that I like kitchen tables.
Both (the two not currently in use) are fairly cheap tables. The tops aren't even real wood. Just laminated particleboard. And the laminate is wearing off around the edges. Sadly, I think we might get rid of one or both tables in a yard sale this summer. I might be able to think of a reason to keep one. Surely we could use a table that can fit 8-10 people around it. For, uh...um...holding DVD's? Or, um, oh, I know! Ryan can put some of his Star Wars stuff on it! Yay! It has a purpose!
Mom had given me some fabric to cover my kitchen chairs with, and there was some leftover that I used for the pillows. They aren't fancy, but I'm still learning how to sew, and I think the seams are very nice and straight, thank you very much. Here is a picture of them.

Mom came over and helped me sew a skirt. The fabric is extremely slippery, and we cut it on the bias. I'm not sure I could explain to someone what that means necessarily, but it makes the pattern tilted about 45 degrees. It looks pretty good, I think. I was going to include a picture of it, but I don't really like the idea of a full figure picture of myself. I also haven't found a top that looks just right with it.
My husband is fabulous. He is so helpful in so many ways. One of those being, if I tell him I want to stop eating so much sugar, he tries to help me. He will sacrifice his own needs for my own by taking the treats we have at home to his work. Just so I don't have the temptation at home. See? Isn't he great? No, really. He is wonderful. Sometimes I just wish he would forget that I had told him I was going off sugar. (Even though I tell him something to that effect every couple of days)
The other night, for instance. We had bought some ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, and bananas to make Domingoes (Sundaes in Spanish. I couldn't think of anything else Mexican to bring to dinner at Bowman's house, so Ryan told me to bring sundaes and just call them by their Mexican name.) It was late at night (about 9:30 pm), and I was guiltily filling a bowl with sliced bananas, and vanilla ice cream laced with chocolate, covered with strawberry jam, caramel, and hot fudge. I say guiltily because Ryan was downstairs (and I didn't invite him to have any) and I try not to eat too many sweets late at night. Well, just as I started to lift my dripping spoon to my mouth, I hear a "Hey!". I gave a little yelp and just about dropped my spoon. Apparently, as Ryan is fond of saying, I am way too jumpy.
Another thing that I love about Ryan is his skill in observation. Jerry was here the other night getting the plumbing ready for a water softener. I had been with Ryan for about 2 hours, eating, going for a walk, etc. Jerry said something about how nice I looked, and Ryan starting mouthing something at me. His expression was slightly confused. Now, I have an incredibly hard time reading lips, but I finally figured it out. He was asking me if I had changed my clothes. Ha! I thought it was pretty funny.
In all truthfulness, I would not be nearly as happy or positive as I am now if I didn't have Ryan in my life. He has increased my self confidence a hundredfold. He never criticizes me, because he knows I do it to myself often enough. He is extremely patient and loving. Sometimes I ask him the most cryptic questions and he usually know what I'm asking. He can catch on to my train of thought fairly easily. He makes me laugh, especially when I need it the most. Of course, the list could go on and on, but I don't want to make anyone reading this blog feel sick. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father put him on the earth for me.
I love you Ryan!
1 comment:
I am so blessed to have a daughter-in-law such as you. Irma
Post a Comment