Christmas Eve was hosted by Amanda and her family. We ate, talked and played some games, then exchanged white elephant gifts. By the time we got home, it was past time for the girls to be in bed. I sewed pajamas for the family. The girls got long night shirts, and Ryan got some pants. I hadn't wrapped their pajamas for Christmas Eve yet, so I just gave the pjs to them as they were getting ready for bed. Then, in the morning, we took pictures:
We had forgotten to tell Katie that she wasn't supposed to go into the living room when she woke up in the morning. So Ryan and I heard her get up at about 8:00 and go to the bathroom, then we didn't hear her go back in her room. Soon Katie came into our room, and told us what each person had in their stocking. After much persuasion, we got dragged out there, and opened our stockings. Then we started opening presents. Katie would open something, and want to get it out of its box, and Ryan would say, "No, let's just open them all first." I think Katie really enjoyed Christmas this year. It was so much fun to watch her be so excited for everyone to open their presents.
Katie got a doctor set, (we are considering calling it a PA set, since we have 2 in the fam.) a tool set ("now I can work up in the attic!") and a beauty set with a hairdryer, brush, fake makeup, etc. She loves them all.
Elayna got a big set of fake food, some little bug car things, and a drum that plays different beats on one side, and is a regular drum on the other side.
Then, we went to Bowman's at about 10:00 am. Irma made the yummy quiche that she makes each year. Then we exchanged presents. Irma had crocheted some baby dolls that are "stuck" in their blankets. They are great, because the hat, bottle, and blanket are all sewn together, and can't get lost. I had one like that when I was a little girl that I loved, and it is packed in my trunk. Matthew gave us a beautiful chime from the Philippines. Ryan got a "tux" t-shirt, and I got a lovely platter. Irma also made a collection of all her favorite recipes. The best part is, they all have comments about the reason she likes the recipe, or when she remembers making it for the first time, etc. Clarissa gave Katie and Elayna some Sesame Street books that Clarissa remembers reading when she was younger. Katie loves them. We have to read at least 3 (because I'm three!) a day, but most days we read them all. Irma and Jerry also gave Elayna a talking/singing dog, and Katie a start on her college fund. The container "counts" how much money is put in.
Next we went to the Evans' house at about 1:30. Elayna was actually still asleep at the Bowman's, so Ryan went and got her later. We had hoagie sandwiches, then exchanged presents. Dennis and Naomi's family got us a nativity block set that the girls can play with, plus some yummy homemade chocolates, smelly stuff for me, and jerky for Ryan. We sent the kids to play downstairs while the adults opened presents. Mom had sewn aprons for all the women, and Dad gave the girls these cool soda-top purses. The men got Sudoku books and a gift card to Olive Garden. GG and Grandpa Joe also gave each family a black plague that says "Count Your Blessings".
At 4:30, it was time to go back to Bowman's to party with the extended family. We ate some more, talked more, and sang some carols. Then we went home and put the girls in bed.
New Year's Eve was at John and Emma's house. Emma made Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas that were great! We played games, talked, and ran after kids. There was a night-long game going where you couldn't say certain words. We were each given a "Good Luck Bag" , but if you said "Happy" ,"New", "Year", "Eat", "Ate", or "Game" someone could take your bag away. Then whoever had the most at the end of the night won. And it was Ryan! Yay! The girls both stayed awake and pretty pleasant until we rang in the new year. They fell asleep about 10 minutes after we started driving home.
New Year's Day we had breakfast at my parent's house. Crepes, Orange Rolls, Cinnamon Rolls, a Sausage/Egg Casserole, Chocolate Milk and OJ. Yum! The adults spent most of the day talking to each other, while the kids played downstairs or watched a movie.
We got to spend most of the week before Christmas with the Bowmans. Jonathan, Gillian, and Peter were visiting, and we loved spending time with them.
Then, the week after Christmas, Mike, Kristine, Kylie, Zach and Blake were at my parent's house. We tried to spend as much time as possible with them also. Ryan was great and let me stay late a couple of nights so I could enjoy visiting with them longer.
After reading through this post, it sounds like most of what we were excited about were the presents. Although we enjoyed them, we loved spending time with our family even more. Also, I love what President Monson says, (paraphrasing, because I couldn't find the actual quote) "Instead of asking 'What did you get for Christmas this year?', Ask 'What did you GIVE for Christmas this year?'" Unfortunately, I think it is hard for us to tell others what we have given. It sounds boastful, or as though we are looking for someone to thank us.
I just want my children to be able to look back at this and see that we did give to others too. Ryan and I decided months ago that if he got a Christmas bonus, we would use part of that to help others. Ryan was excited to give to "Toys for Tots" because he loves toys so much, and wants others to experience that joy. Our ward has an "Angel Tree" each year, which is basically a Sub For Santa. We decided that those 2 charities were what we wanted to contribute to this year. Though we didn't give a lot, I still think it is important for my girls to know that we are trying to live as Heavenly Father would have us live.
2 comments:
You forgot that on Christmas, after leaving the party at Mom's house, Derek, Jonathan and Gillian, and Matthew came over and we played Rock Band until 10:30, when J & G left, then Derek Matthew and I kept playing for another hour or so.
It sounds like you had a great Christmas season. I'm sad that it's already over :(
Post a Comment