Sunday, May 29, 2011

Annalisa Mae Bowman

I had my membranes stripped on May 5, and had lots of hard contractions the rest of the day. I was positive the baby would come that night. When I woke up and nothing had happened, I cried and was upset for a while. But then the girls needed me to get them breakfast and dress their Barbie dolls, so I had to get up and get going. Then, on Sunday, during sacrament meeting, I didn't feel well at all, and I had a contraction that lasted for 3 minutes or something. So I went home, made sure my bag was packed, and laid down to rest. No more contractions the rest of the day. Monday morning I woke up at 7:30 to hard contractions for about an hour or so, but they ranged from 5 mins apart to 17 mins apart. Oh well, we will just go over to the hospital and have them check me, and maybe they will keep me and induce me. Because I was at a 3 on May 5, so I had to have progressed since then, right? Well, we got the girls dressed and over to Irma's. Ryan gave me a priesthood blessing while we were there. The contractions stopped before we left our house. Nothing on the way to Irma's. Nothing while we were there. Nothing on the way to the hospital. So we came home and I put dishes away from the dishwasher and took a shower and I'm writing this now.
Oh, the reason I wanted to write stuff down. Katie, this morning, when I told her the baby might come today, so we were taking her to Irma's house. She said, "Mom, remember when we were on that trip, and the water was leaking at the hotel?"
Yes?
Well, i thought that is what it would be like when you had your baby.
Oh, when my water breaks?
Yeah.
Oh, sorry. It is a little different. :)

She's so funny.

My back hurts, and there is lots of pressure down there, so I guess maybe we will go over to the hospital and have them check. I just feel so wishy washy about it, that it must not really be time. But I don't want her to come before I have time to get to the hospital either!
Ryan is taking a nap, so I guess I'll go wake him up.

I had been having contractions for about 2 hours on Monday, May 9. They ranged from 3 minutes to 17 minutes apart. They weren't hurting tons, but we decided to drop the girls off at Irma's house at about 9:30 am. We started to drive to the hospital, and of course, the contractions stopped completely. So we went home and I cleaned the kitchen and straightened the house. Then Ryan was hungry, but I didn't feel like eating, so we went to Santaqueen, and Ryan made me get some food. He always knows when I need to eat, even if I say I'm not hungry. I ate all my food, and we decided to go to my OB's office to see if they would check me and see if there was any progression. At my last appointment, on May 5, he said I was at a 3. He checked and said I was dilated to a 4, and effaced to about 70%. He said I could go to the hospital and they could induce me then, or I could go home and probably come back in the middle of the night and then have the baby. We went over to the hospital at about 2:00 pm. Dr Crouch (my OB) broke my water at 4:45 and said I was at a 5 and 80%. Then I got the epidural, which slowed down the progression, but it so worth getting! I stayed at a 6 for about 1.5 hours, so they increased the Pitocin and I went to a 9 in half an hour.

Annalisa arrived at 8:39 pm on May 9. She weighed 9 lbs 3 oz, and was 20.5 inches long. She had some fluid in her stomach that they had to suction out, but otherwise, everything went really well. I think I pushed 5 times through one contraction, and she was here! When the doctor laid her on my belly, I was amazed that big baby had been in my tummy. She is so beautiful! 


Annalisa calmed down while holding Daddy's finger, just like her sisters.

Weighing in at 9 lbs, 3 oz, and 20.5 inches long
Her hair is curly when wet


We are so happy to have Annalisa here!

Happy parents

The hospital has a photographer that takes pictures of the babies, then wants you to buy prints. They cost $18 for one 8 X 10. We didn't get any prints, but this was the best picture they got. 

I left the hospital on May 12, and everyone has been taking really good care of me. I was blessed to have meals brought in by the ward, friends, and my loving family for 2 whole weeks! I've recovered pretty well. I feel almost normal at this point. 
Annalisa nurses really well, and she even takes a bottle easily. Ryan will normally give her a bottle at about midnight or 1 am before he goes to bed, which means I don't have to wake up to feed her until about 4 am. It is great.
Annalisa has a little bit of congestion, so she breathes noisily. She snorts and snores when she sleeps. It is pretty cute. She started recognizing when I was getting ready to feed her within about 4 days of being born. She will be fussy, and I lay her on my lap sideways, while I get ready to nurse, and she will quiet down. She tends to fill her diaper right as I put a new one on her, even if I've waited until I'm sure she is done. :)

Katie and Elayna love her. We had to keep reminding them of her name, and even now, they tend to just call her baby. It's okay, because I call her Elayna a lot. :) Katie likes to hold her, and wants to feed her and burp her and carry her around. Right now, she just holds her on her lap, and has fed her with a bottle once.

The other day, I saw Ryan yawning and stretching in bed. I realized that Annalisa yawns and stretches exactly like Ryan! It was so cute. I don't normally "see" characteristics of people in my children. That was the first time I have actually noticed a resemblance between my children and anyone else.

We are so thankful Annalisa arrived safely and that everything went well with the delivery. Living and breathing and giving life- I am so grateful Heavenly Father has blessed me and my family with these amazing miracles!!

1 comment:

Chiska said...

What a sweet little one! Congrats to you. I'm so glad that things went well. It's fun to see those little resemblances when they do pop out isn't it?