I was lucky enough to be able to go to Washington D.C./Arlington/Annapolis for 6 days. (Aug 9-14) My sister and her husband, Alisha and Matthew, were fabulously kind and let me stay in their condo for most of the trip. They were perfect hosts, as they let me sleep in, watch TV, use the internet, gave me breakfast, and basically made me feel at home as much as possible.
The time I spent away from Katie seemed so long, and it was harder on me than her. I was very happy to come home to her. (oh, and Ryan) :)
Here is a shortened run-down of the trip. I hope you can stay awake. I included pictures, so it might help.
(On a side note) As I was packing Thursday night, (which I had put off until 10:00 PM the night before I needed to get up at 4:00 AM) I found myself wanting to clean out my hairbrush. Now, it hadn't been cleaned for a while, and it would have been fine without a cleaning for another while, but it seemed vitally important at that moment to take 1/2 hour to clean all the hair and junk that collects in it. Don't ask me why.
I had a long layover in Denver, but I was lucky enough to be able to wander around the whole airport a couple of times. The funny part is that when I'm walking, I tend to walk fast, and with a purpose. So, I was really tired after speed walking for a couple of hours. (Of course, that was interspersed with stopping to look at things, but mostly it was restaurants, and people think you are weird if you stop and stare at them while they are eating.) Alisha and Matthew picked me up at the DC airport 2 hours AFTER I was supposed to be there. The flight was delayed because of weather. Alisha had made yummy chimichangas for dinner, so we just relaxed that night. We walked around a little on Friday morning, saw where Matthew works, and had lunch with Matthew's parents, who were also visiting.



Alisha and I walked over to the Iwo Jima monument, which is really close to her apartment, as is the Arlington Cemetery. I had no idea the Iwo Jima monument was so large. I guess seeing things in person really makes an impression on you. Strange. The cemetery was very beautiful. We didn't actually go into the cemetery, but rather stood on a stone wall looking over it. The 4 foot drop deterred myself and my pregnant sister from further exploring the area.
Then, the car that Alisha and Matthew had thoughtfully arranged to take me to Baltimore arrived. I must say I was a little taken back when the driver plunged directly into religious and moral conversation. I thought those topics were not normally brought up because of their ability to upset other's emotions. Oh well. It made the trip interesting. I must have looked like quite the floozy in my short (covering my knees) skirt and blonde hair. :) The driver, throughout the hour long drive, informed me that he was Muslim, and that it was important to get married and love your husband, and stuff that I could agree with easily enough. I tried not to comment if I didn't agree. I didn't want to get in a fight with this guy.
(Skipping Friday night and Saturday, as they are on part 2)
Sunday was nice and relaxing. Once again, I was able to sleep in, and then we leisurely got ready for church. We were able to look at some pretty houses that are by the church building on the way to and from church. We then had a nice afternoon, wandering around the city, eating dinner, and having pleasant talks.
Monday I was left to fend for myself, as Alisha and Matthew both had to work. I took my time leaving, but then I got on the Metro (and off) at the all right stops, which I was very proud of. Then I walked to the World War 2 memorial. I also saw the Washington Monument, but just because you have to walk past it to get to the WWII memorial.



I really liked the WWII memorial. It was very pretty, and open. Lots of water, and it had each state's name on a monument by itself. (The tall columns all around are the ones with the state names on them.)
It was really hot, so I walked to the Sculpture Garden, and then went to the Smithsonian Museums of Art (East and West), where I spent the rest of the day.

This was on the way to the Sculpture Garden. I was walking along, and wanted to have a snack. I saw a bench by the sidewalk so I sat down, and realized this cute little gazebo was right there. I don't know what it is, or why it is there, but it just really struck a chord with me. I felt very close to it. Maybe because it was out of place, or because it is an attractive building. I don't know. I just REALLY liked it.

In the center of the Sculpture Garden, there is a pool, surrounded by these trees, and beautiful planters with flowers cascading out of them. I thought the planters were just gorgeous, so I took a picture of them. The funny thing is, as I was doing so, a couple walked by, and the girl told the guy, "Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen those there before now."

This sculpture reminded me so much of the game Qbert that my brothers used to play. Just color the squares, and put a little hopping animal on it, and you've got the idea.
I really enjoyed the Museums. I liked the West wing, because it was my type of art. You know, landscapes, and romantic poses, and large canvases full of color. Art like that is really interesting for me to study. I love the colors, and the detail. Here are a couple that I really enjoyed.

This is called "The River of Light" by Frederic Edwin Church. I loved the detail and just the beauty that is portrayed in this painting. I wanted to buy a small reproduction of it for a memory, but after seeing the real thing, the 3X5 card just isn't the same.

This one is "Joshua Commanding the Sun to Stand Still upon Gibeon" by John Martin. The detail that I loved in this one is not visible on a smaller scale. The exquisiteness of the people is just amazing, and there are ALOT of people on this canvas. I also really liked the sky on this one.
I also really enjoyed a painter named Thomas Cole. His paintings seemed to portray stories. He has 4 paintings called "The Voyage of Life". They go through Childhood, Youth, Manhood, and Old Age. The themes are very similar, which I appreciated.
After I had exhausted the West wing, I went to the East, which was radically different, but still very interesting. This side was more Modern, with some of those radical canvases that are just paint splatters, or crayon scribbles all over the wall. These are some that I have a hard time visualizing as art. I don't understand the uniqueness of a red square on a white canvas. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I did enjoy the mobiles, and sculptures they had there. I liked how it was open and light, where the West side was a bunch of small rooms that were easy to get lost in, with not a whole lot of light (because it can cause fading and damage to the paintings). I was completely exhausted by the time I met Alisha at her work. We went home and had dinner at Chipotle Mexican Grill. It was really yummy.
Then it was time to go. I exercised with Alisha, packed, and then flew to Denver, where I had the enjoyable experience of another long layover. This one wasn't as bad though, because it was shorter, and it was almost over. The long flight was behind me already. However, there was rain in Denver, so they let us board, then made us wait for an hour and a half until it stopped raining. I talked to my neighbors and worked on some Fill-In puzzles though, and it wasn't bad. I was so excited to see Ryan! I don't think I let go of him the entire time we were in the airport. I just wanted to touch him and relish the fact that I was home. Then, we really did get home, and we woke up Katie, and she didn't even act like I had been gone. She just wanted a drink, and to go back to bed. But the next morning she was laughing and giggling about everything. It was so cute.
1 comment:
Your notes and photographs were so enjoyable it was almost like being on a trip myself. OK, not quite.
I would rather go myself. But thank you for sharing your trip with us. Love you.
Post a Comment