The staff did a renal ultrasound and a VCUG on her. The ultrasound was pretty simple. Just like the ultrasounds I get when I am pregnant. They looked at her kidneys to see if there was any scarring or physical indications that things weren't connected correctly. The doctor said that everything looked fine; her kidneys looked strong and healthy. He mentioned that there were some floaties in her bladder-that might be an indication of a Uninary Tract Infection.
Then, we took her into another room for the VCUG. They had us undress her and put her in a hospital gown. There was a lady there that was supposed to help distract Elayna from the procedure. I was thinking I would be able to be right by Elayna, but because they use radiation to look at her bladder and stuff, they wouldn't let me be in the room. The procedure is as follows: they put a catheter in, fill her bladder with fluid until it is so full that she has to let it out. They do that twice. I got to be there when they put the catheter in, and it was awful. I hated seeing her in pain. But it was so much worse to have to sit behind a wall and listen to her scream for her mother. And I couldn't go comfort her. I'm so so grateful Ryan came. If Elayna didn't at least have her father there, it would have completely broken my heart. I just sat there and cried. the doctor tried to come talk to me, but I don't really know what he said.
Thankfully, Elayna recovers very quickly. Before we left the hospital, she was happy and running around. We took her out for a shake, then went home and rested. I called the pediatrician, and he said that there weren't any problems. He wanted us to come in the next day to test her for the UTI. I'm so grateful there wasn't anything wrong with Elayna.
The next day, when we went in to check her urine, she wouldn't go in the cup. We were at the clinic for about an hour, and she just wouldn't go. In the cup. She urinated on the floor, and on my shirt, but not in the cup. The doctor suggested we could do a catheter, but I absolutely refused to put her through that again. As we left (I was in tears by that point) the doctor was telling me something about the antibiotic, but once again, I didn't really hear what he said.
Dr Keller called that night and explained that he wanted to test the urine to make sure he prescribed the correct antibiotic for the infection. But since we couldn't test the urine, he just prescribed the same antibiotic as last time. I'm so glad he called back and followed up on what happened. I was pretty upset at him when we were at the clinic. It seemed pretty obvious to me that she had an infection (bad smelling urine, floaties on ultrasound in bladder) and I couldn't understand why he wanted us to go through this ordeal. Now I understand, and appreciate his thoroughness.
We went to Naomi's house so the girls could play with their cousins. I sat on Naomi's couch, and proceeded to completely fall apart. I was so frustrated with the whole thing: Elayna not going, being embarrassed about being the only people in the clinic for ever, having the nurses and doctor ask me every couple of minutes if she had gone yet. Not to mention all the emotional stuff I went through at the hospital the day before.
Thankfully, Naomi was very understanding and compassionate. She helped me feel better, and suggested writing 5 things I am grateful for each day. I felt much better by the time I left. Thank goodness for good friends and family.
Ryan and I started singing in Community Choir. It is combined with the Santaquin Stakes this year. We are doing a program called "He is Jesus Christ" by Rob Gardner. Ryan and I both have solos too. I think it will be a good experience for us. The Bowman's are willing to watch the girls each Sunday night so we can both go. I'm so grateful for the help they give us.
October 23 was my parent's Halloween party. We all had so much fun. Mom and Dad set up an obstacle course downstairs, had a cake walk, and a fish pond. The kids enjoy it so much. The adults do too, of course.
I was reading through my "Tender Mercies from God". Almost everyday I was at my parent's house, it seems like. My parent's are so great to let me stay there whenever I need to. They always welcome me, and feed me, and take care of me. They are wonderful.
I wasn't sick at all with my first 2 babies, but with this baby, I feel nauseous so much. I don't feel like eating anything, or doing anything. Ryan is so supportive. He helps so much, and doesn't complain that the house isn't clean, or we don't have anything to eat.
I am so blessed with wonderful, supportive, and loving family members. I know I wouldn't be able to be who I am or accomplish anything I do without my parents, Ryan's parents, my siblings (and their spouses) and especially, Ryan. I love them all so much. Thank you!!
Ryan turned 32 this year. It is amazing that I can love him more each day. He is so wonderful. The day after his birthday, I went to my OB for the first time. With Katie and Elayna's pregnancies, I just went to my family doctor, Dr Lytle. I really like him, but he isn't doing pregnancies anymore, so I had to find an OB. Dr Crouch seems really nice. He actually let me look at an ultrasound of the baby. I was only about 8 weeks along, I think. We actually saw the baby's heartbeat!! How amazing. I'll be able to hear the heartbeat next month.
We spent Halloween night with the Bowman's. We ate dinner, then went bowling. The girls had lots of fun. At the bowling alley, there was a kid there with a scary mask on. Poor Elayna. She walked in between these kids, and was fine, but then she looked up and saw the mask. She just covered her eyes, whimpered, and tried to walk away without looking at anything. Thankfully, that is when I saw her, so I grabbed her and held her.
Elayna and Katie dressed up for Halloween: Elayna is a caterpillar. Katie is a dragon. (although she kept calling it a dinosaur)
My imaginative Katie:
No comments:
Post a Comment