Saturday, August 2, 2008

No baby yet

We still have 5 days until the baby is due, so I thought I'd write stuff down that Katie has mentioned about "baby sister" before I forget.

My mother bought a cute onesie with an elephant on it (both of my mothers love elephants, so it seemed pretty appropriate). She also bought a pink (of course) shirt for Katie. Katie was trying her shirt on, and we showed her the baby's shirt. She brought it over and put it on my tummy and said it fit. She also loves to hug and pat my tummy while mentioning baby sister. I'm hoping she doesn't continue to think there is a baby in my tummy after she is born.

Katie is also realizing that baby sister is going to have stuff that Katie can't have. This was a hard concept at first, I think. I put up the bassinet, put some of the baby's clothes in the closet, have diapers for the baby, etc. Katie kept asking who these items belong to. When I reply baby sister, she kind of nods and walks away. Then, she was asking about the changing table which still has her diapers on it. I told her that it was hers and the baby's. She appeared to like that, because she has since told a few people that baby sister and her are sharing the changing table.

Ryan and I currently only have 1 car. This has been okay, because I can usually walk or arrange to have the car from Ryan if I need it. Apparently I have only arranged to have the car on the days I go to the doctor's office. One morning when Katie woke up, I told her we needed to take Daddy to work. She replied with "Doctor?" and then told me what we do at the doctor. It is hard to explain, but she described how the doctor will put a machine on my belly, and then we will listen to the baby's heartbeat. She even makes a noise that sounds like the heartbeat.

Another time we were telling Katie how Daddy was going to the doctor to get a shot for something, and she remembered how she had gotten a shot when she went to the doctor. (the shot was 2 months ago, and I haven't talked about it since) She mentioned that she got an owie from the doctor, and I was curious if she really remembered it, so I asked her where the owie was, and she pointed right at her thigh. Her memory is amazing.

Some new words and phrases:

"I'm coming!" (with an attitude close to a teenager. Agh!)

"same" -I was showing Ryan how Katie could tell that his shoes and her shoes were both white. She said "same, white" and Ryan took a moment to explain to her that although the shoes were both white, they weren't the same. Just similar. And he wanted her to say similar, instead of same. I had to try pretty hard to not laugh.

"Yes!"-said very clearly and usually loudly
"yes, please"-meaning what it says, but sometimes also meaning "will you please do this" or "if I say this, will you do whatever I say?"

Katie has been having a fun summer. We try to go swim at my parent's house at least once a week. This last week we have been over there almost every day. My sister Alisha was visiting from Arlington, Virginia and we wanted to spend some time with her. Also, Katie likes to play with Alisha' son Ethan, and see Grandma and Grandpa. Oh, and swim, of course. That is a request I get a couple of times a day.

Hopefully the next time you look at this blog there will be adorable pictures of my beautiful daughters.


2 comments:

Gillian said...

Hahaha...I was just reading this to Jonathan and I read the last part "hopefully there will be pictures of my adorable daughters" and he said "dog?!?" Um...probably not. Anyway, we're so excited about the baby that we can hardly stand it!!

Alisha Haight said...

I am so excited for that little girl to come too. We had so much fun with you and Katie and Ryan this last week. I miss you already. I think it is neat that you are documenting all of Katie's cute stuff. She speaks so clearly, it is so easy to understand her, even though she is missing most of the words:)