Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cute Sayings

This is just a random list of cute sayings or actions that I want to remember.

"Excuse Me" is "Be bah" (Where in the world did this come from?)
If we are chasing her, and she doesn't want us too, she will turn around, point her little finger at us, and say "No. No!" or "Stay!"

"Cold" is "Duc" -which as Ryan pointed out one day-is almost completely backwards.

She calls dogs and ducks by name, but cats and horses are still "meow" and "neigh".

She loves to sleep with a baby, or 5. Last week, she got the 2 babies out of her bed that ALWAYS have to be there and she was carrying them around while I was cleaning the bathroom. I looked into our bedroom, and she had put one baby on my pillow and the other baby on Ryan's pillow. She was sharing.

She is using 2-3 word sentences regularly.

She gallops everywhere. A little skip/hop/gallop. It is so cute. I used to wonder why "the pitter-patter of little feet" was used frequently, but now I know. With our wooden floors, I can hear her run, (actually quite fast) jump, gallop, etc. It is such a wonderful sound.

About a week ago, Ryan shaved, so when he came home for lunch the next day, we had Katie feel his cheeks. We asked her if they were smooth, and in a completely surprised voice, "Yeah?!" (As in, how weird! When has that happened before?)

I sing to her before she goes to sleep, and the other night she didn't want her normal songs, so I was trying some new ones I thought she might have heard in Nursery. I started to sing "As I Have Loved You" and she looked up at me with surprise, and gave a whole-hearted "Yeah!" Then, at the end of one phrase, I sing "By this shall men know.." and she pipes up "no? no?" until I confirmed that yes, I had indeed said the word no.

Anytime we go to eat anything, she needs to ask if anyone nearby is hungry also. "Hungry?" "Daddy" "Hungry?" I love the way she asks it. It reminds me of when I used to know American Sign Language. She points at me and says "Hungry" with a question in her voice. In ASL, from what I remember, you direct the sign at the person you are "talking" with; instead of signing "You, want, food, question" you would simply direct the signs "Question, want food". I don't know if that makes much sense. It does to me. :)

Katie is also good at saying "I don't want to" using all those words.

She sat on the potty and actually WENT potty once last night, and twice this morning! It was incredible. Of course, then she didn't do it again the rest of the day, but she is certainly getting the concept down.

Ryan has been so great about carrying Katie around more now that I'm pregnant and it hurts my back to carry her. I used to rock her and sing to her before I put her in bed. Now, Ryan puts her in her crib, and then we both stand by the side of the crib and sing 2 songs to her each night. It is such an amazing experience to have her smile up at us with so much love in her eyes. The first night, I knelt by the side of the crib, and she kept getting up to kiss me through the bars. It was so hard to tell her to lay back down and sleep, when she was so cute about it.

She likes to choose the songs we sing to her. She has about 5 or 6 that she likes, and I will ask her with the name of each song which one she wants that night. It isn't the same each time, which is interesting to me.

4 comments:

Clarissa said...

that is cute and it makes me smile. but where are the pictures!?

Jay and Amanda said...

I think it's so cute when you can start communicating with your kids. It still kind of blows my mind to think that they have their own little minds and aren't thinking the same thing you are. Kind of scary!

Gillian said...

Wow...she is so sweet. We're excited to spend more time with her (& you!) this summer. We read this blog together while Jonathan rocked Peter :-) It's fun to read what we have to look forward to!

Alisha Haight said...

How exciting that Katie is talking already! I wonder where they come up with their little words? I bet that is so fun when you realize they understand you and can try to express themselves and their needs at such an early age. Be sure and keep track of this stuff. Katie will love to hear about it when she gets older.